Wednesday 3 November 2010

A total lack of routine

So according to my last post I am mid-retreat in Thailand...in case anyone's wondering where I have got to, since my last post I have already been back to London, flown off to Denmark 20 hours later to start my new job, had a week without practice and then finally arrived home on Saturday night ready to get back to the shala last Sunday (where predictably enough I have battered my body for the past few days...Lesson learnt: NEVER take a week off, it hurts too much!!). As of Monday I am installed at home doing my new job, which currently consists of me being a little clueless and desperately wanting  to be fully up to speed with it, and all the while I am trying to figure out how to conduct myself in this whole new lifestyle. So while I am dying to blog about all of my experiences I am just too overwhelmed at the moment with everything else going on, and have also got into that phase where there's so much to say that I feel like I've fallen behind and I can't write about the newer stuff until I've written about the older stuff. Meh. I'm hoping that doing a mini excuse-laden post for my absence might kick start me to write some more that might actually be interesting! 

Just one little yogi thought for you today: Yesterday as I began my practice I had a little freak-out thought: "How can I just be doing sun salutations when I have no idea what is happening the rest of the day??" Whereas in my old life I knew I would be trotting off to the office after practice, and all was highly predictable, now (and especially during the settling in phase) I have NO idea what my days will hold. But an answer popped into my head as soon as the question came...
Of course you know what's coming next: just breathe.
Out-breath follows in-breath follows out-breath follows in-breath. And so I focused solely on the breath for the duration of my practice, and if at any point the fear of not knowing what's coming popped back up, I just reminded myself that if you can just concentrate on your breath you will ALWAYS know what's coming next....

7 comments:

  1. How exciting! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love this! It *is* true that focusing on the breath helps to break supposedly overwhelming situations/tasks down into manageable pieces....I'm constantly reminding myself of that!

    Speaking about your break, I took *two* weeks off (ha!) thanks to LH and a trip, and the first practice after that was horrible. I kept comparing myself to the 'pre-break' stage, thinking about how I would need to start all over *again* and feeling impossibly inflexible. My teacher comforted me by saying that we're never 100% in every practice, and (about my pre/post-break comparison) to view each practice as a marker of the journey we're on. It's not good or bad, it just is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Mel! Wise words indeed. "Out-breath follows in-breath follows out-breath follows in-breath."

    Two thumbs up, I'm reminded of this today. Thanks! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are good places to do ashtanga in Denmark, so please come join us next time you are around :)

    Copenhagen: http://astangastudio.dk/

    Aarhus: http://www.ashtangayoga.dk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks lovelies :)

    Speaking of the break...actually the hardest thing was not that my practice changed, but that it didn't - it was just as deep as before, which is why my body was hurting so badly I expect! Thankfully the screaming muscles were gone by Friday (after taking Thursday off) but now I am up to the point of getting lots of weird tweaky mini-injuries...NO MORE BREAKS!!
    I like what your teacher said Danielle and of course it's true, there's no good or bad (but there is sore!).

    Roselil I didn't know you were in Denmark! Unfortunately (well, fortunately but you know what I mean!) I will always be in Odense when I'm over there as that's where my company is based. I did look for ashtanga there but couldn't find any websites - but if you know of anybody I'd be thrilled! But next time should be a bit less crazy so I'm ever hopeful that hotel practice will happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Odense? Nice place to hang out, but unfortunately no ashtanga classes beyond very basic guided beginner classes as far as I know. If you get really desperate (or get a day off), the train to Copenhagen is only about 1½ hours which should be comparable to the commutes I read some of you guys do in London.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a LOT is going on... Goodness, no wonder you feel a bit disoriented and overwhelmed... breathing is a really good tip, another thing that sometimes helps me is to turn it over to infinite intelligence, to ask for help and guidance, and to trust that I will be led one step at the time...

    ReplyDelete